Thursday 30 September 2010

POD Black Ice, first impression.


This is not a full review, far from it. I've carried the sack around for one weekend? hardly putting it through it's paces but I wanted to write up my first impressions anyway. 

It's a size 3 POD black ice. POD are famous for bombproof simple packs tha really stand the test of time. This pack is no different. I did already own a Lowe Alpine pack, but it literally hurt my back so after 3 years of good use I've decided I don't want another winter of backpain and thought I'd upgrade. I've been thinking about packs quite a bit recently and decided to try a POD sack under the premise that I'll probably end up with one anyway. My choice was between the new style sack with the roll top closure and the old school Black Ice. The deal clincher was the heavy, stronger fabric that the black ice is made from, meaning it'll be more hardwearing. 

It's a big sack, about 50 litres. You can remove the lid, the waist belt and back frame should you ever need to. All are really simple to do. Normally I cut off everything from my pack that I don't need but I'm struggling to find something to cut off this pack. I can fit everything I need for a days cragging, plus a belay jacket for staying warm in winter and double ropes. I've also packed it up with my normal winter pack and low and behold... it all fits (that includes crampons in the pack too!). But when it's been emptied down the sack compresses quite well and seems fine for carrying whilst climbing.

How did it fair this weekend then? Well tramping to the sea cliffs of Gogarth with full rack and double ropes was no problem for it (unsurprisingly). I even managed to snuggle down in my belay jacket with my flask of coffee to wait at the crag. Seeing as we moved from crag to crag trying to find somewhere that wasn't rammed full of people we walked for about an hour and there where not problems carrying it. As for Sunday walking up to Pant Ifan across the boulders field and scree terrain there was no problem with the packs stability.

So far it's living up to expectations.

No comments: