Monday 20 September 2010

Peak District

Well it was a damp weekend anyway and I'd put my back out so I thought I'd take it easy. After spending my friday night working on my attempt at a finger board in the shed (lots of power tools, lumps of wood and mugs of tea) I had a lazy day sunday. I picked up Prescott on saturday morning them was amazingly ditched as we drove past the roaches (apparently his Cousins partner had not turned up).

So me and Rach headed over to Curbar stopping off in Hitch and Hike for some shopping because the weather was looking bad. I needed to get a guidebook anyway because I'm done with working out of my '97 copy of on peak rock (it's a great book, but it's a little old, outdated and only a select). I'm now bandishing a new copy of the Froggat guide, woop! Hopefully this'll encourage me to find out all the climbing in that area, which sadly gets quite neglected by me. I also might have walked out with a POD Black Ice as a new winter pack. I could only justify it by that fact I hate my old bag and it give me back problems. It's not a bad rucksack so I'll be looking to sell it on yo someone who'll get some use out of it than I do.

Curbar? I've not really been there before so it was nice to find somewhere new to climb. After a longer walk in to show me the boulders down the bottom and a walk along the base of eliminates area looking at all the lines I really didn't feel up to doing. In the end I settled on Avalanche Wall (HVS 5a) which looked slabby. I found out it wasn't and proper bumbled up it not really thinking about it. The cracks provided good gear all the way but, but hanging around to place it was a little annoyed. The route was a little polished too. I did however get a knee bar in and a elbow deep arm/hand jam. This in itself makes this an excellent route. When Rach came to second the route she got to within the last few feet and then her back gave you with spasming pain. I lowered her off and had to look on as she curled up on the bouldering pad in pain.

So that pretty much put a kibosh on any more climbing so instead we headed to the Grindleford Cafe for a pint of hot chocolate and a walk around the wood foraging for free food. We actually found loads of mushrooms and wild fennel, but managed to incorrectly identify a massive clump of honey mushrooms so we didn't bring any back. Better luck next time I gues. We then stopped off at Mam Tor so I could show Rach the distruction of the old road when part of the hill had subsided, I should have took a photo. .

No comments: