Wednesday 9 September 2009

Cold Winter Days...

Claire keeps bugging me to actually write a blog about something other than climbing. I still am actaully planning to write something but I'm not sure what to write about, I don't really do much else other than climb.

This blog isn't about climbing, its about dreaming. I can't wait for winter. Whilst everyone was tucked up nice a warm last year Me and Claire (and toaf sometimes) were still out climbing as hard as ever. Obviousley you have to accept that gloves and a belay jacket are essential and that you can't climb at your limit, but what you gain is awesome.

Seeing as its so cold I think it puts people off. As long as its dry and not too windy then theres no real problem. Places like gogarth can become real suntraps in the winter. Its the difficult period before the snow settles in for some winter climbing but you can't psyche yourself up for a day in the cold when you can steal some great days out.

I'll be out this winter as me and Claire have already planned a day of hard and fast climbing in the cold. The plan is for Claire to lead the first and last pitches of Tennis Shoe on Idwal, with the HVS start. Then we'll head over to Javlin Direct (E1 5b) for my lead, and finish up Continuation Crack (HVS 5b). Its a route we've done over and over but it'll be harder in winter and with Javlin Direct. I'll let you know how it goes and whether we're too cold on it or not.

As I've already mentioned Gogarth is a bit of a suntrap sometimes, so Hopefully a good deal of winter will be spent there.

Eventually the weather will be cold enough for some winter climbing too. I can't wait...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) I like this post :)