Wednesday 17 March 2010

SUMC club trip: Yorkshire! PART 3

I awoke to an alarm and the sun streaming in through the open window. I felt beaten, which wasn't far from the truth (playfighting!). There was no-one else up but I figured I'd start breakfast off, so after moving the all important Ipod to the kitchen I got started. I managed to make 6 cups of tea, and have 20 sausages, 3 frying pans of bacon and a sauce pan of egg and beans (seperate) with a hangover before I realised it was all getting a little out of hand. Soon Susie, Toaf and Jono came in and we got it all sorted. Everyone pulled together to get the hut cleaned up and we where off to Attermire Scar, the crag for the day.

Attermire Scar is a limestone crag situated up above the town of Settle, about 10 minutes drive out. We all set off and arrived at the crag apart from Jono and Helen who'd met some friends and would join us in a bit. Jono had assured me he knew or could work out where they would be going. After a short walk of 15 minutes to the crag, which as it happened was nestled in the middle of nowhere as all the hills blocked out any towns, cities and noise, it was a reallt tranquile place to be, Jono rang. The short version of the story is that they took a wrong turn and kept going. Jono said he really needed a hand, so I dumped my sack and started running. In about 20 minutes I guess I'd made it to them. Bloody hell, they'd gone up a steep track barely wider than the car. Helen was a little shook up so I reversed it down hill till a little three point turn was accomplished and we could move the car. Phew! Jono promised me a beer, but I honestly didn't mind.

Back at the crag everyone was just milling around. There was no drive, which I wasn't expecting after how tired everyone was in the morning. Andy had stolen my frenchy (seriously I was gone for like 5 minutes!) so I set about a VS with Matt. This turned out real hard real fast. Limestone could be this hard?! I down climbed, not wanting to wieght my gear and had a good and thorough check of the guidebook. Ha! I knew it, I'd wandered straight up a HVS 5b called Mellow Yellow, the crag classic. I decided to skyhook off it and save my gear so asked Tim to do belay duty. Off I climbed armed with not 1 but 2 skyhooks. As I got to my last piece of gear I set about finding a suitable ledge to skyhook my way down but but couldn't. With Tim belaying too I felt a little more confident and, with skyhooks still in my mouth I carried on up. This was first with the intention of finding a ledge but I just carried up placing gear. I got a few cheers and encouragement from the people below which was good and I topped out onto the seperating ledge. Phew! Knackerec and hungover I'd just done a HVS 5b, I was happy. Toaf was called across to second me, which he did with much better style than I'd originally climbed it (like always).

I spent my time wandering round to shoot some photo's of people (Prescott leading a VS) and fling dry rabbit poo at everyone else! I was happy. The sun was out, a light breeze and soft grass to lie on, what more could you ask for? Well for one my frenchy (Sid) back, which I got! After a lazy period of eating, relaxing, hiding from the rain we set off up Banter which was actually VS 4c this time. I took it slow again and concentrated on enjoying every move. I'd planned to do a climb called determination (MVS 4b) after as the guide book description said:

"Due to the intrusive elderberry tree, this climb is more akin to jungle warfare"

What a route description! As I looked at it there was no leaves on the tree but I've vowed to go back and do it in full greenery!!!. Sid really enjoyed Banter. He thought limestone was fun! Laura then came up too as she wanted to do another VS. I happily obliged. We felt a little rain as we walked off back to the bags so moved everyones stuff under the overhang unless it did rain. I got in my sleeping bag and tried to catch up on some sleep. Eventually everyone was gathered back at the bags and we got the order to move out. Thus ending an awesome weekend.

I think I should probably thank a few people for this weekend as it was really that good (if your not on the list it's not that you didn't make it good, but this post is so long already!):
The weather man; for blessing us with clear dry skies all weekend
Tim; for allowing me go, even though I'm black OPs
Becki; for getting all the food and doing such a good job of it (and Killian for the Curry) and for having a good ipod.
Scott; for inflating my tires and adding an extra miles to fuel consumption
Matt and Sid; who I climbed with all weekend and made my weekend so much fun.

No comments: