Tuesday 2 March 2010

Climbing Photography...

Recently I've been brought a new camera as a christmas present off my parent. I think my parent like seeing what I've been up to on my weekends away and occasionally I do get some good shots which might be worth printing off, but at the end of the day climbing photography is hard.

I keep reading articals on UKC, Ian Parnell and Andy Kirkpatrick on how to take good climbing pictures. All these articals are great but I think I might have hit on the single most important point made by all of them (esp the UKC one).

You'll never use your camera if it's stuffed away in your bag or in a hard to reach/open case or if its deep in your pocket. All winter I've carried my camera on a piece of 3mm cord holding the case. The case is a very simple design which zips open and closes. Added to this I lark's foot the camera lanyard to the 3mm cord. Simple now I carried the camera same way I'd carry a sling. I can swing it out the way if I'm leading and it hard to drop it because its attached around my shoulders. Even when I'm shooting photos I can drop it and it's still attached to the cord.

So this system seems to work for me, it may make me look a little like a tourist but I don't care because it means I can keep shooting while I'm climbing!

No comments: