Monday 11 January 2010

Things I couldn't live without...

...winter climbing.

BD ice clippers. These little plastic 'biners are simply like the most innovative idea ever (not just BD ones, I mean the whole concept). For those that don't know then they are little plastic 'biners that are held sort of poking out from your harness so you can rack screws (or anything you want) on them. I brought 2 initially as I was trying to expand my summer harness with more gear loops (I just brought a DMM Renegade in the end, another quality piece of kit).

I have one sitting either side of my harness meaning I can rack screws equally. This is a great plan although I can only place screws one handed with my right hand (another skill I need to learn). But simply racking and removing the screws is a doddle.

They are so good infact that on my first winter day out Rob and Stewie, who are both much more experienced winter climbers (Stewie's climbed in Canada and Scotland loads, and Rob is just gnarley) were so impressed by this little pieces of plastic I was sporting they went out and brought themselves one each that very day.

I would urge anyone going winter climbing to get at least 1 or 2 if you can afford it. At £4 a piece this is a steal compared to how useful they are.

No comments: