Sunday 25 September 2011

Abseiling...

So it's been a while since I've done any climbing. Well it's been about 2 weeks, which as far as I'm concerned is a more than long enough! My ankle is taking it's sweet time to heal and now there is an odd lump on the ankle bone itself (off to one side) and still painful bruising over my foot bones and my lower leg. I can't believe all this has come about from a simple trip. I've also been off work, which at first was fun and now I just want to get back so I have something to fill my day with.

Talking on filling my day, I went up to Stoke to help out with the SUMC abseil. I actually went up to hang out on a roof all day, drink tea and maybe do a little abseiling or rigging. What actually happened was that I ended up spending 8 hours dangling over the edge of mellor (the building) operating a safety rope with my friend Tim (he was the SPA). This wasn't exactly something I'd planned for but we made the best of it; drinking tea all afternoon and getting clients down safety. The highlight of my day (well there were 2) was that a couple of disabled people turned up. After a brief discussion downstairs well they made it to the roof (without wheelchairs) all kitted up and ready. It did mean that we had to close one of the lines so that one of us could abseil down next to them should anything happen, but nothing did. Everything went really well and one of the girl actually came up and did it again because she enjoyed it so much. All in all it was a pretty awesome day, and it didn't rain.

The night before I'd also been asked to put my sony vegas skills to the test and produce a short "trailer" type piece of promotional material  for the SUMC to play on a laptop at thier stall, hopefully in a effort to generate some enthusiasm. I kind of threw myself into it because it's the first time anyones actually asked me to put something together for them, rather then me just playing around and making climbing films for youtube. Here is a copy of the trailer:




No comments: