Thursday 2 December 2010

Thought for the day and snow...

It's not normal that I write a post that isn't related to climbing but today I'm writing something different. Each morning when I wake up I do general morning stuff (wash, clothed etc) then I come downstairs to have breakfast and listen to Radio 4. Now I don't care that radio 4 is seen as an "old persons" radios station, it's much better than everything else in the morning. Each day they do a piece called "thought for the day" (this is those people who don't know). A guest speaker, usually from a prominant Faith groups will regail the listeners with thier "thought for the day". I'm not against religion but mostly the Christian and Islam religious leaders bang on about thier religion and how it's related to something in the media, normally by a tenious link. This for me is something sad because I don't want to hear that.

However at least once every two weeks a guy comes on to speak. He is the Chief Rabbi Baron Sacks. Thats a prett grand title. I figured that I should google him to give people some information on him. Born on the 8th of March, 1948 his full title is Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commenwealth. A few minutes browsing what comes up will lead you to realise that Baron Sacks stands up and is not afraid the defend his religion fairly but strongly.

So why am I writing about him. Well he is clearly very proud of his faith but whenever he's on thought for the day, I don't get the feeling he's trying to force his religion onto me, or use it to influence my life. He's anocdotes and stories that are used generally can be applied to other situations and are not religion specific. When he does use a specific religious festival to make a point, the point isn't specific to religion but it's board and open. He's makes his thought simple but effective and something that everyone can read into and take something from.

Today's speach was about the Jewish festival of Hanukkah, but it wasn't at the same time. It was a roundabout story of how religions the world over should work in harmony with each other. He finished telling how all religions seem to light candles at different festivals, and finished with this quote:

"For my flame does not threaten yours nor does yours diminish mine, and each time someone lights one, whatever his or her faith, the world becomes a little brighter for all of us. That's why religious freedom matters and why religious diversity enlarges us all."



Anyway, snow. Seriously!? the rest of the world must be having a right laugh about now watching Britian cope with temperatures a few degrees below zero and a bit of snow blowing around. All I keep dreaming about is ice ice ice and when I can get out and start playing in it. Bloody school!

No comments: