Wednesday 1 December 2010

So why haven't I been out trad climbing?

Simple answer, I don't know.

Two weeks on the trot I've done no more climbing than a couple of trips to churnet. Actually being able to rest for a considerable period has been great, but I'd still rather be out trad climbing somewhere if I'm perfectly honest.

The two trips to churnet haven't been a complete loss at all... for from it infact. I've enjoyed myself immensely each time I've been there and it's normally just been nice to get out of the house or Birmingham. On my first Churnet trip I ended up at Cottage Rocks. If you've not been there its wicked. The buttress is relativly small, but sports an overhanging crimp and pockety wall and a steep slab/wall with everything from cracks to pebbles to slopes for pull on. We arrived in the late afternoon, so we had the sun filtering through the trees (gutted I forgot my camera). I enjoyed the day climbing until we had to get the head torches out and then bailing with sore fingers. All day I was persistantly hitting about 6a/6b which is pretty good for me.


The second trip was to Wright's, which is definatly more of a burly mans route. I had another good day in less than ideal conditions (a little drizzel now and again to spice things up). I did remeber my camera this time and cought some pictures of us playing on a few problems and climbing around V3/V4. I did miss a V5 by inches, which has given me some incentive to get back and do it!

No comments: