Sunday 19 December 2010

Snow, People and Red lights...

So we've had about a 9 inches of snow here in Birmingham and you can guess whats happened... mad panic! Maybe Britian sufferers from some sort of super snow as apposed to the rest of world? or maybe it's because we're British and we like to make a fuss of everything. I'm currently sitting in my room, with a nice big mug of coffee, checking every weather report I can and trying to decided whether to go wales tonight or tomorrow for some climbing. A little bit of snow isn't going to put me off, infact it's precisely the reason I'm going. 

However I just thought I'd enlighten any readers to the plight of the poor poor people of Birmingham and the west midlands and add some words of advice. The snow isn't actually that bad here. Yes, I'm sure there are roads that are impassable but all the mainroads seem to be fine, as long as you take it easy. I've seen so many people just avoiding redlights ar junctions in the snow, or plain not stopping for things. The other thing is people are not helping other people. I don't know when this culture of "ladders up jack, I'm alright" came about, or whether its a commen thing in winter but seriously! why not just help that guy push his car out of that snow. It's amazing how easy it can be to move a stuck car with a few people. 

When I'm out in the mountains it seems there is a never ending supply of people willing to push someone out, or jump someones car or even tow them to the nearest pub! However there is a different mentalilty in cities. 

I'm still going to stop and help that guy out next time I see him, even if he is driving a BMW....

And so to finish, please don't drive if your not prepared to help someone else on the road, able to cope with some snow and have some spare gear in the car. I leave you with a tree...

No comments: