Monday 19 April 2010

First Aid Course

Well I finally bit the bullet and gave up some of my time for some personal development. Currently my ML is invalid and I haven't officially passed my SPA due to the fact I don't hold a First Aid Qualification. After looking around and a recommendation off a friend I settled on a course provided by High Peak First Aid in Edale. I booked on a 16 hour "Wilderness First Aid Course" and decided on doing it here because I could stay in Stoke night. So was it any good?

I'm going to admit that I really didn't want to the a FA course. The last one I did was classroom based and I spent 2 days bored out of my skull, so I wasn't thrilled at giving up to days of my holiday especially since school refused to let me have the time off, even without pay, rant over. The FA course was excellent. I really enjoyed it mainly because was less classroom based. We spent at least half of each day dealing with "casulties" outside and covered in fake blood. The course spent alot of time drumming in simple things mainly along the lines of indecision kills quicker than no decision at all in most cases.

On top of this most of the people on the course where either climbers, worked in the outdoor industry or where just really interesting to talk to. Everyone had anocdotes to add or real life situations that they'd been in which kept the course intersting. All in all I guess I shouldn't have put it off for so long.

No comments: