Friday 24 May 2013

So I brought a van.

Everyone's been telling me that it's the way forward, though I feel I should point out that most of these people have a biased point of view. They are already van owners and lovers. It's a little Peugeot Dispatch panel van. I know that Peugeot don't make a dispatch version, but at some point a rear door has been replaced with that off a Citroen. It's pretty much an old beat up van, with more mileage on it than I'd like. If it was a house it was be described as “full of character” and “cosy”.

Why buy a van? I didn't get it because everyone has told me it's a good idea. My car died. This isn't actually true as my car still runs but it'll cost more than it's worth to get it through the MOT and even then I can't guarantee it'll last another year. I can't guarantee that the van will last the year either, but it'll be more of an adventure. A van won't give me any more freedom than I've already got, it'll just make freedom more comfortable... at least in theory.

It is definitely not the greatest van in the world (not yet!) as it's old, slightly battered, the doors'll whistle on the motorway and the engine has got about a year left in it before it'll need a big overhaul (hopefully) but it felt right as soon as I got in it. There was then warm feeling you get in your gut when it all seems right as soon as I lay down inside, amongst the cement stuck to the carpet and looked up as the battered metal walls with plaster and god knows what stuck to them. Aesthetics don't bother me that much as long as it runs.


The plan is to convert the back into some sort of livable area. I've only got a few days before I start work again (for 3 weeks) so whatever is going to be built will need to be built quick and simply. I'm also limited in the cash flow department (as is everyone else at this time) and I don't really want to spend loads kitting out a van for about a years worth of use. I'm already looking into replacements and how much it'll cost so I know how much work I'll need to pick up. It's going to be a long year and climbing might have to take a bit of a back seat for a while.

A livable area doesn't need to be much.


No comments: