Wednesday 1 August 2012

Life, jobs and becoming a full-time climbing bum

These last 2 months or so have been a bit of a weird one for me. In this time I've broken up with a long term partner, quit my job of 4 years because I'm sick and tired of it and thus thrown myself into a life of uncertainty. I've not got a job to walk straight into, and no real prospects of work. I also don't really know what I want to do with my life either. I guess a lot of this is just normal at the moment. I'm slightly annoyed that I've got not job because there were some parts of it that I really liked, but the crux of the whole issue was that it was paying me enough to get by and climb, but not enough that I'd ever really make anything of it. It was also a dead-end and without retraining, that was it. I did toy with the idea of teaching, but I really don't think that's the job for me. The good teachers I've met over the year (either being taught or working along side them) have been passionate people, who poor everything into their teaching. They might not be the highest qualified or have the most degrees but they provide for the students like no other. I can't be a teacher like that, not until I've sorted some way to managed the other obsession that seems to dominate my life.


I did managed a to get a weeks work, through a friend and climbing partner (Tim). It was sold to me as a residential where I'd be doing ML work for two days (walking with a group) and an overnight at a campsite. Then a days SPA work (leading groups climbing and abseiling) and then another two days like the firsts. I was also told my hours would be 8 till 4, which I thought was pretty sweet, little did I know...


What a wild week is all I can really say. I did work 8 till 4, but also a bunch of hours before and after that. I didn't care as it was nice to have something dominating my day like work I enjoyed rather than sitting round getting bored. As freelance instructors we were offered a room and food for the week at Malham Tarn Field Centre, if we agreed to do one evening activity for the groups. Of course we accepted. I met loads of really cool people, from all over the country and I learnt loads. It realised how long I've been out of the Outdoor Ed industry pretty quickly and for the first couple of day I felt like I was running just to stay level. By the wendesday I felt much better about the whole thing. 


That isn't to say there were some bad moments. We have awkward staff to deal with, difficult kids, medical issues (some they bothered to tell us before hand, and some they didn't), kids with SEN, odd groups sizes and bad weather. I got a ride in an ambulance too but none of the bad things really mattered. I didn't wake up each day, put on a shirt and tie, tie up my shoes and drive across a town centre in rush hour traffic. I'd have done this weeks work for free if they'd have asked.

Oh yeah, and I was based in Malham. Amazing scenery:
(Malham Cove)
Climbing seems to have taken a little rest for the moment. I've trashed my fingers attempting Tierdrop (and bumped my head!) but I just feel generally knackered. Instead I've spent sometime at base camp (parents house) spending time with my little brother and sister who've I've missed after a week away. 


My ex (I hate using that term to describe someone, but it fits so) used to tell me "do what you want". It never came over how she meant it but I finally got it after I handed in my notice. I am doing what I want, even if it isn't much. Tim asked me the other day is we lead good lives (during a reasonably deep conversation on the journey home from Yorkshire). To answer I asked him if he felt he was happy doing what he was doing? and did his lifestyle impact negatively on anyone he knew or cared about. 


life is good.

No comments: