Friday 10 August 2012

Inbetween the rain

Managed a short day in at Baldstones last week, before the rain hit of course. We'd got up late so I only managed to get three routes in before getting a real soaking on the walk out. It was one of those "I'll be ok, it's not too far, I won't need a waterproof" moments. Apparently I did, and thus got wet. 

I think we probably ticked off three of the crag classics, the Original Route (E2 5c), Baldstones Arete (HVS 4c) and Baldstones Face (VS 4b). I've been wanting to do the Original Route there since I spotted a picture of Justin Critchlow leading it in the old guide book. That slab just looks awesome to climb on... and it was! However the 5c boulder problem proved to be mighty hard to get up to it. It gets V2 on it's own so I was glad we'd brought a pad with us as I managed to slip off more than enough times before I nailed it.

Tim lead the Arete, in fine style and not bothering to get worked up but the run out nature of the route. He said afterwards that he was really surprised he'd actually carried on and lead it because normally stuff like that just freaks him out. To me it seemed to be a good lead. He did hesitate just before he stepped out onto the arete, but he didn't stop.

We then looked at a few horrible offwidth crack that were caked in green and decided against them before I lead Baldstones Face, the longest route of the day at a whopping 15 metres. Again a good route, runout but traversed the slab I'd already climbed as part of the Original Route. It was sitting on top that I spotted the rain coming in and urged Tim to climb quicker. As I said earlier, we got wet. 

(all photo's courtesy of Matt Snell)

No comments: