Thursday 19 April 2012

Some kind words on sea cliff climbing

"You're no nelson"

This was the comment Stuart muttered as he watched me scream like a little girl before running and scrambling back along the cliff base to higher ground. All because a wave was crashing in. It wasn't a particularly big wave, it wasn't a particularly small wave, just a wave. Still it made me run and thus also opened my climbing partners eyes to my fear of the sea.

I grew up in the most landlocked city in Britain, which isn't a bad thing. I had a good childhood and spent a lot of time near the sea and contrary to belief, I do actually go swimming in the sea. I just have real problems with deep water, and why shouldn't I? The only time's I really encounter deep water (and by deep I mean I can't see the bottom and therefore it just descends into blackness) is when I'm on a boat or sea cliff climbing. Taking the little ferry to the Isles of Scilly last year for a holiday was an interesting experience to say the least. As far as boats go though they don't bother me (or didn't at least). 

But sea cliffs are different. I mean you start at the top for one and then abseil in. If something goes wrong then it's generally not just a simple abseil back to the floor and then walking out. You have to actually climb out and that little bit of extra commitment can really weigh on the mind. Have you ever looked at the sea beneath the sea cliffs? How many end in just that sucking deep black as the cliff plunges into nothingness? Well too many for my liking. Swimming in clothes in hard enough, let only without the weight of 5kg of rack dragging you down. I keep meaning to go to the swimming baths with 5kg of something, just to see if I can swim with it all on (though I think the thing that's stopping me is that I'll find out that I can't). 

My point is, is that after spending the last few weekends away (and the majority of my climbing this year) very close to the sea (and a raging sea at times) it's starting to bother me less and less. I don't know if I'm becoming accustomed to it or I'm getting less scared that everything will fail and I'll end up in the drink. 

This is something that I can't only consider to be a good thing. If you've ever climbed on a sea cliff, and especially a westward facing only, and you've had the opportunity to experience the sun setting over the ocean as you sit on the rim savouring the glow of just finishing a route then you'll know what I'm talking about. Being less scared of the sea will hopefully mean that this'll happen more often. 

And if you've not experienced this, then you need to get you're ass to Gogarth asap!

(The view, sitting on the rim and the end of the day)

No comments: