Sunday 17 July 2011

bitter and twisted...

It's been an interesting weekend, and seeing as it's sunday and I'm blogging then you'll probably be able to guess that 1, it's raining and 2, I'm not out climbing. This isn't a bad thing as I don't mind taking weekends off climbing (especially for other fun stuff, walking, scrambling, friends birthdays etc) but this weekend I decided that a session at Awesome Walls in Stoke would be appropriate, hell I just needed to kill some time and catch up with alot of people who I've not seen for ages. 

The session was going pretty well. I've had a twinge in my third finger (left hand) that I've been watching of late and I've kept taping it up when I've been bouldering and climbing indoors. I say being careful but clearly I wasn't being careful enough as it snapped. Thats basically the sum of it. I was on a pockety route and cranked really hard on pulling up on 2 fingers (one obviously being my bad finger) and there was a grotesque snapping/breaking sound and I promptly fell off ( I was like a ft off the floor too because it was a sit start). The pain was immediate and strong. It felt like I'd snapped a bone in my finger. I muss have looked in pain as even Toaf stopped bouldering and we went and got some ice. Since then it's been iced and strapped to my other finger because I don't know what to do about it... Well I didn't until I spoke to Soames. So it'll be off to the docters tomorrow morning for me and then hopefully to hospital for an x-ray and they'll tell me that I'm just being a big jessie.

So for the moment I'm feeling very sorry for myself, but on the upside I'm actually quite psyched because having a painful finger will put shot to any obessive hard climbing and grade chasing, something I could probably do with. I had an awesome time the other weekend just climbing was was (for me) easier routes but being out in the mountains and spending time biving and walking. I think just being in the mountains and chilling out might do my finger some good.

Annoyingly I did pick up some 60metre Beal Icelines which are practically new. They've been used for 1 route (Idwal Stream) which I did with Holloway the guy I brought them off. They are a much needed replacement for my current Half ropes, a pair og Mammut Genesis. These ropes are far beyond being decomissioned but they are starting to show some wear and are about 4 years old. They've had a good life, and hard use and I'd recommend anyone wanting a do anything (from grit outcrops, mountain routes to sea cliffs) to invest in a pair. 

So much for a summer of climbing hard, eh?

No comments: