Monday 23 May 2011

80's style Birthday climbing weekend...

This weekend we all braved the bad weather reports to get to wales for some climbing in a rad 80's style, all attempting to sport the most garish lycra possible. Sadly the weather and everything else in the world seemed to be against us. I only got 1 route in all weeked and managed to loose my size 2 cam (very very annoying). The route was Christmas Curry, which I've actually never done before. I did it with James Holmes and James, who I'd met that day. I block lead the whole thing because James hadn't climbed trad outdoors before (poor guy has been sport climbing though). I really enjoyed the route and can see why it's a classic tremadog line. I think both James and James enjoyed it too, especially since we had a couple of very brief showers and some very strong winds as we were climbing. Topping out the wind was awefully strong. 



And that was it really for my climbing all weekend. Once we'd topped out the weather hit pretty hard and seemed to settle in so a large group of us ended up driving in convoy over wales until we finally ended up back at... Tremadog and the dry safe barn of Eric's bunkhouse. He we dressed in lycra and partied away for the evening and had a cake for Rachel's Birthday, whilst listening to the wind and rain outdoors. 


The morning rolled round and we set a path for the slate. This in itself wasn't a problem, it was Killian flooding his engine through a rather deep puddle which proved an issue. Eventually I towed him on a long climbing sling from half-way up the Nant Gwynant valley and down into Llanberis. We had to leave him there while the rest of us went into the slate quarries to do a little climbing, in the finest of stylist lycra! I've really only got a few photo's of the day before the rain hit and we bailed to Lllanberis for some ice cream and a long drive home.


No comments: