Wednesday 24 February 2010

Creag Meagaidh

An attempt at going to Creag Meagaidh. This attempt went well, in the broadest of terms ie we didn't die. However in the term of how much climbing we got done, I think it was a disaster.

We got up nice and early (0500 ish) had breakfast and packed up to head out. It was a nice drive, but the road was covered in snow and the car was sliding a little. I took it carefully. It was nice to drive as the sun was coming up epecially with everywhere covered in snow. We found the car park eventually but after looking at our map we didn't know if this was the car park or if it was up the track at the back. So ever the lazy mountaineers we set off up the track. This proved to be my downfall as my car (Jess) couldn't make it up and during reversing back down the car slid off the track and rested on a bump, I was stuck.

We couldn't believe it. My poor Jess was stuck! After calling up Rob to let him know whats gone on, and my Roadside rescue cover only to be informed that as my car was still running, they wouldn't do anything about it. I dispaired and me and Andy walked up the track to the local house. The place was pretty spooky, with a stand alone walkin fridge and a pile of fresh stag's head along one side. We borrowed a spade and some planks and set about creating some earth works to get me out. I'd already called up Stewie and he was coming to help us. Eventually me and Andy gave up and just sat in the car waiting for Stewie, we both fell asleep.

We were woken by the guys who lived at the house returning home. They were in thier landrover and very kindly offered to drag us out. Thank god! They tried with the Landy and could do it (dispair again!) but then the older guy just non-chanontley said "we'll just drag it out with the argo". He the the boy and soon enough a young lad came down and they winched me out with a supercat. It took an 8 wheel drive all terrain vehical to pull me out. I'm so lucky.

Seening as we'd drank all our tea, we headed off back to base, with no climbing done. Tomorrow we'd have to go all out.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Snow chains mate, snow chains. And always keep a shovel in the car - you'd be amazed the kind of situations you can get out of with a bit of ingenuity (or an argocat lol).

Matt said...

I know I know, I'm getting some snowchains, and we had a shovel but theres not much you can do when the wheels on one side of the car are pretty much off the floor!

I wanted to rig a 5:1 and haul it out, but andy (non surprisingly) wasn't willing to let me use his ropes!

Dan said...

Unlucky mate, good luck for today - hope you get some routes in!