Thursday 5 November 2009

SPA Assessment

Well I finaslly got round to doing my SPA. I'll point out right now that I passed the course but defered on my paper work which is probably typical of me. I was absolutley dreading going on the course. I knew my ropework and rigging would be fine (I'm not being big headed but I'm out everyweek climbing so). I was worried about the softer elements of the course, like group work and dealing with problems. These where clearly my weaker elements but at the end of the day I could only do what was sensible and logical.

I arrived late on the wednesday and intended to go down the bar and meet some of the guys on my course. As it happened Ross who I was sharing a room with came up before I'd sort out my kit, but we stayed up going over the homepaper and sharing climbing stories till late.

Obviously breakfast at the Brenin was great (part of the reason I did the course there, the food is excellent). We all met for orientation and meeting out course directors at 9. Because the weather looked good on the thursday we'd do personal climbing then and leave the rigging and problem solving to the friday. We had Andy Teasdale and Kieth Ball as our course directors, both MICs. I figured we'd head to Craig Pant Ifan's upper tier or Lion Rock. We headed to Craig Pant Ifan.

I think over all the day went well. All my anchors where good and I set everything up neatly, quickly and safely. I missed 1 screwgate all day. They where really big on beefing up your anchors. Things like using more places (some of my anchors where like 7 bomber pieces) and using the strongest gear possible. I kept plying them with questions as well trying to learn as much as I can from them. The outdoor session on the second day I tried to put into practise all the things I'd learnt from the first day. Probably seems odd that I was putting into practise what I'd learnt on my first day of assessment, but in all honesty I was a massive leanring experience. I beefed up my anchors and continually ran out of screwgates (I was only carrying 9).

The indoor session was what I was worried about. We where each given a 10 minute slot to deal with 1 aspect of indoor climbing. I got teahcing someone how to belay. This session went well, with us climbing and bouldering and I eventually fumbled through teaching someone to belay. I was pretty nervous, but my technique was sound. This is also probably the session I learnt the most from as I picked up load of idea from everyone else in the room, especially bouldering games.

When it came to results I knew I was going to defere. I hadn't done a first aid course or got my personal profile filled out. There where simply because I completly forgot on my personal profile and because I just havn't need a first aid qualification so I'd let it slip. He said I'd passed the course and done it well. He told me I was safe and my rigging was great. He did say that if I want to go for my MIA I really need to make sure my logbook is in complete order, with everything filled out and in the correct place. This is my next task.

That and doing a first aid course!

No comments: