Wednesday 7 October 2009

Wrekin Mountaineering Club AGM

Me and Toaf went down to the AGM last night. I wanted to show my face at the club and get more involved. About 25 - 30 people actually turned up in the end. Many items were discussed at the meeting. The lack of turn out to some of the club meets (which I know I didn't go to and felt bad about) has made a shift in how the club does things. Before they would book a campsite, but because people didn't turn up we've lost money from this so instead now people will have to book themselves on a campsite. I don't really see this as a bad thing as the club seems to operate pretty well as small independantly units. More club trips to foreign countries are going ahead this year, with a trip to Spain at easter. We organised that tide timetables need to be checked before Sea-cliff climbing weekends.

A new committee was elected and for this I managed to aquire the title "Master of Ceremonies" (for the evening at least). I didn't really want this job, but sort of got pushed into it by Uncle Rob. The criteria for the job seemed to be being able to stand in front of a group and having a big gob. I'll be honest and say I was really scared. It meant that I had to record all the voting in of committe memebers. Stewie is back on the committee, lets see if he does anything this year.

Another thing that came up was allowing younger members into the club. By "younger members" this meant between 16 - 18 years old. Richy Ball took the lead on this seeing as he's got most experiecnce (MIA trained and has been to the BMC meetings and workshops for all this). In the end it was voted that younger members would be allowed to come on some tuesday meets. After seeing how this goes they would be considered to come on sunday meets. No overnight trips obviously. This would mean a change in the informal way everything seems to be organised but I guess its for the best.

Overall I think it was a good meeting and I'm glad I went and got involved. The club needs more younger members as well, something I'm going to try a promote when I can.

No comments: