Monday 4 March 2013

An interesting weekend...

As weekends go I'll be perfectly honest and say this wasn't my favorite. One this is that I've managed to get some good photographs from my day bouldering on Saturday. The weather was beautiful, and the rock good clean and dry. I've been given (more like entrusted with) a pre-release copy of the Churnet guide book. It's a odd little publication as it consists of only new blocks, crags and boulders scattered across the Churnet area. A good point to not is that it needs t be used in conjunction with an existing guidebook (like the Roaches guide or Peak District bouldering) because it literally only has the new stuff in. Considering the new guide is just over 60 pages long it looks like there is loads to explore!

Saturday was therefore spent blowing out my front tire as I pulled into the Rambler's retreat car park. This didn't dampen my spirits and the tire was quickly changed. What did dampen them however was landing badly on the bouldering mat and spraining my ankle. My ankles are a constant form of frustration as they get damaged so easily. I just slipped off the problem and caught the edge of the mat and rolled the ankle (again!). I guess the most annoying thing is that I wouldn't have damaged the ankle had the pad not been there to roll it over. My afternoon was spent adjusting some routes at the SUMC climbing wall for a friend who's based her dissertation around climbing. It's a really interesting line of inquiry and I'll get her to give me her results when she gets them!

Sunday should have been spent no at the crag, for many reasons (not just my ankles). However I found myself at the crag anyway and got to spend the day leading the occasional route but mainly sleeping on my ropes or acting as "tech support" for anyone who wanted anything checking (belays, abseils etc...). I guess it wasn't a total loss as I can log it as a supervising day in my SPA logbook. Realistically my day would have been better spent indoors. 








No comments: