Wednesday 1 February 2012

New DMM stuff...

It seems that every blog I've read over the last few days has has news of the new kit that DMM is producing. There's a link to a low resolution PDF here and I feel I should write at least something. I've had a good look at the PDF and discussed it with quite a few friends and I've come to a few conclusions about all this new kit. 

It's not all that new, which isn't such a bad thing. Maybe they've done a lot of market research and have come to the conclusion that producing products tailored to the need of people is the best way forward... I mean they are trying to make some money at the end of the day. So we've a load of new axes, which look a lot like some models already on the market (one looks rather like a Petzl Nomic) or following a general trend (like people retrofitting pinky rest's onto their DMM flys). I think that the coloured screwgates are just simply a nice idea. They sort of go against a few things I follow when buying gear (like buy nothing for a specific job and try to make sure everything has more than one use). But having brightly coloured 'biners could make arranging clustered belays better. Something simple like having one person attached by a red 'biner and another by a blue. I figure that they'll probably be more useful for people workin' in the outdoor industry that you're average weekend warrior bumblie.

As for the Demon Cams, well what can I say? Shamelessly filling the gap left in the market by WC not continuing to produce WC friends, but with a little extra in the way of an extend able sling. Hell yeah! In fact the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. There are a lot of people out there who'll like the idea of being able to buy a replacement size cam when their Friends tire out, especially when it'll be the same size cam lobes. I know they look a little crappy, but DMM must have loads of lobes left over and there seems to be a split in what people buy (single or double stem cams) and DMM have covered both of these markets.

I do like the look of the terrier and if I climbed enough in winter I'd be buying one. It does scream a little of something Andy K said a couple of years ago, just sayin' like.

No comments: