Monday 13 June 2011

Budget Hill Gear?

After reading a post here, I'll have to say that this has inspired me to try some cheaper climbing gear options. So on a recent trip to asda I picked up a so called "insulated food storer" thus enabling me to carry soup, stew, cassarole or even tarka Dal out onto the hill, the crag or at work with me... and it'll stay hot. I've been jealous of Soames cracking out a giant insulated flask/pot/thing and eating hot soup everytime I sit there with a little bar of something tat resembles birdfood.

Will it work is the big question as far as I'm concerned. I've been pretty dissapointed with several flasks over the years until I received a decent thermos flask the winter before last. This works for about 10 hours, even in winter and provides me with a hit of hot vimto when I need it most. Today is a monday, and I work on a monday but this doesn't stop me from attempting to field test some of this kit out, so at 0740 this morning my flask was pre-heated with boiling water (as per instructions), emptied then, filled with a cassarole that I cooked the day before (hot obviously). 

As flasks go it's around the same size as a normal nalgene water bottle, which considering I carry a 50 litre pack pretty much everywhere shouldn't really be an issue for me. I've been braving all my work gear and carrying it around in my bag all day too. This will assure me that it gets bashed around as I try and make my way through a crowded school. I guess I just need to wait until lunch now. 


--------------------------------------------

Lunchtime has arrived! And the cassarole is... hot actually. I joke you not, the food is still warm inside the flask. I think pushing it a few hours more might be asking alot, but at the moment it's still warm. I think considering the flask cost me the grand sum of £1.25 that this is a confirmed win for this item of budget hill gear!

No comments: