Monday 28 February 2011

Petzl Gri-Gri 2: first impression

After Petzl produced the gri-gri about 20 years ago I think it’s safe to say that they created a pretty iconic produce there. I mean it’s not just a belay device (although it is a pretty good belay device) but for anyone who’s done much route setting, jugging up and down ropes or general hanging around and rigging I think it soon becomes a pretty indispensible piece of kit. So what if It only takes one rope.

Abseiling on 8.5mm half rope
Time passes and ropes have got some thinner making the old gri-gri which only took 10-11mm rope a little out of fashion, or at least a little less useful. Also in this time other devices have been produced to encroach on the gri-gri’s market (namely the Trango cinch and Eldrid Eddy). I guess it was time for an update.
Having used an Eddy and found it useful for jugging up and down ropes but not very good for much else (I wouldn’t like to belay on it) and it’s really heavy and seen had really good reviews of the cinch how did I end up with a gri-gri? Well it works on a variety of rope diameters, it’s light, it’s pretty obvious how to use it and I got some discount on it! 
My initial impressions are pretty good. It works just like a smaller more compact gri-gri. So far I’ve been lead belaying on it, jugging up rope and abseiling on it, plus plenty of belaying too. After watching the video on how to lead belay (here) off the petzl website, it makes sense and is pretty easy to use. I found it works fine. Jugging up rope it’s great for and belaying in general it works really well. I used it on 11mm to 8.5 half ropes and it’s been great.
My only complaint is the handle length. I know this might seem quite silly but I find it digs into my palm when I’m lowering someone off or abseiling. But it’s not a big gripe and I’ve used much worse kit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the first grigri you are right was an iconic product and set the benchmark but as soon as the eddy and the cinch came out they overtook the grigri in various ways. the cinch was lighter and the eddy has a failsafe locking mechanism.
it turns out that the cinch is made of shit and wank as there are vids out there where the cinch just doenst catch the climber. it had to be used like a normal belay plate, which really isnt the point.
the eddy adding a safety factor when overpulling the release handle it autolocks the rope again so in a panic situation whether to let go or grip in terror the climber is safe.
i personally own an eddy and its great for belaying both feeding rope and taking in, the eddy is engineered to know the difference between a fall and feeding rope quickly.
however like all things the downside to the extra engineering is that the eddy is heavy, its all cast alloy and very solid, not something you would probly take on a long hike out to a crag, but down the wall for real easy belay its my favorite autolock.
fishcake