Wednesday 12 May 2010

Alpkit Gourdon 25l... first impression

Ok, so I'll admit it. I probably don't need another sack. I've already got 2 as it is (both Lowe Alpine sack that seem pretty bombproof), but the chance came up to aquire one of this little drybag-come-ultralight sack jobbies I thought I'd go for it. My first impression is that it's very well made. The previous owner hasn't treated it badly, or looked after it overly so it's had general use. I don't think the thing is completly water tight anymore, but who cares? I'm not not going swimming with it!

I've managed to pack out a cragging sack with a whole rack, harness, water, food, waterproof jacket, belay jacket, first aid kit and then the helmet and ropes on the outside of the bag. I was suprised that I managed to get it in all, but I did some careful packing. As a cragging sack for somewhere where you only need a small rack then this would be perfect. It would make a pretty good day sack for a fast and light day out in the british mountains if you've got a good weather report for the day.

To be honest I've been after one of these sacks for ages. It's a small and light pod shaped sack that seems pretty much perfect for carrying on mountain routes where you need food, water, shoes and pretty much nothing else. I'll see how it goes over the next month and see how hard wearing it is... but I've got high hopes!

1 comment:

Alex Roddie said...

These packs are simply amazing. I've had mine for about five years (it looks identical to yours) and I have probably used it every single day since it arrived. It is the ultimate Alpine summit pack (have used it for this purpose several times), lightweight hillwalking pack, or as an extra rucksack / drysack when backpacking.